Background of Miami International Airport
Miami International Airport is the main airport in the area that serves thousands of domestic and hundreds of domestic flights. The story begins from the 1927 year when Pan American Airways decided to change their location and move to Miami. They found a large area of 116 acres, which was in the ownership of Seminole fruit and Land Company. (On South of Miami Springs) and decided to purchase it. All terminals, runways, hangars and other parts were designed by New York architectural firm of Delano and Aldrich and the building process was finished in a year. The year 1928 was really fruitful for the company. They boasted two hangars, 2 hard surfaced runways, and a passenger terminal. The building was 2 stored, with high ceilings and large windows. All needed amenities for passengers were located on the first floor. Scheduled flights began on the 15thof September, 1928.
The first flight was piloted to the inaugural ceremony to Havana by Edwin Musick. The year 1928 was fruitful not only by the amount of work done but also with the number of flights that handled more than 8600 passengers and more than 20 tons of fright. It was the first facility for the passengers to become operational in the United States. By January 193, the part of carriers started operating from the new terminal of Dinner Key Seaplane. During the 1930s all other carriers relocated from the old Miami Municipal airport and became known as the 36thstreet Airport. In the next few years, the airport has expanded. The terminal's size was doubled and also two hangers were built for allowing the accommodation for much bigger airliners.
These all have cost Pan American $1.5 million. Since then, the airport was adopted by another company, which led to more expansions and hundreds of daily flights.
In 1948, after World War 2, the airport was adopted by Miami Army airport and by 1951 the airfield had grown and covered 2,878 acres as a result of additional land purchases. At that time, the search- rescue squadron was located in the area of the airport with several reserve troop kinds of transport. But on 1959, when the aircraft was relocated to the Homestead Air Force base, the operation was closed.
On 1991, one of MIA’s carriers was sold to Delta Air Lines but soon went bankrupt. The remaining international carriers (from Miami to Latin America and Europe) were sold for $135 million to United Airlines.